Friday, October 16, 2009

Christmas for adults.


So Sunday I'm leaving for a short road trip with our best friends and can't wait! Sensible people wouldn't travel over 8 hours for a concert, but what fun is there in sensible? Not to mention Tony and I have seen this band twice in the last four months and the Porter's just saw them last month. But, its one heck of a concert and a great time -so definitely worth it.

I so need this right now anyway. Though I love staying home with my kids and not having to hire someone to raise them, it gets tough. Right now is one of those times. Laci is increasingly needy and Ella is, well Ella, and increasingly Beastly. You would think learning new words would help with tantrums, but the words she is using instead have apparently increased her understanding of what she wants and what she is receiving are two drastically different concepts and this infuriates her more than normal. Having the toddler brain operating entirely on the id portion, leads to an entire day of screams "I WANT IT WANT IT WANT IT!" and "I WUB IT" as if her undying love for my phone will force me to hand it over.

This being said, I've been a working mom the last couple weeks, subbing at Laci's school and haven't even had much time with them! I think possibly spending my patience on other people's children has left my well dry by the time I come home. I love them more anything, but sometimes that doesn't get me through! We all need breaks, and basing that mine and Tony's conversations are limited to texting due to interruptions from kids everytime one of us opens our mouths, I think we are due!

Understandably, this weekend is looking more and more appealing by the moment. Top it off with the fact that the 4 of us rarely get to do anything and then usually the kids are in tow, this is just what we need! 8 hours in a car usually doesn't sound appealing, but with great friends it can be a great time, (and again, no kids). Add to that Jenn and I have amped ourselves up like kids seeing sugar plums dancing in their heads on Christmas Eve and its been a great two weeks of planning. Of course, who else could turn a free concert into a rather expensive venture but us, with our customized chucks, stalker gift bags for the 'boyz, necessary Snuggies and photos w/the drummer on his crazy drum riser contraption and more?! But like the title said, this is as fun for me as looking forward to Christmas as a child was and its been worth it and we aren't even there yet!

I think a lot of times as adults we don't allow ourselves much to look forward to,instead focusing on the duldrums of daily life we are accustomed to and don't really live. We need to stop focusing on our work and our tasks at hand and live a little.

We will be Sunday yay! Hopefully, we'll make it through security okay. (our favorite drummer has a facebook we frequent, so he may have extra measures in place). Must go, Beastie is running toward me with a cup yelling "more juice". See what I mean?

1 comment:

  1. You are hillarious! I love your blogs! I hope you guys have a great time at the concert! Where in the world are you going? Have a stupendous time! I hope we can get together when you get back. I miss my Mandy pie. Love ya. Jen

    ReplyDelete